The broad objective of the project is to analyze the export performance of the textiles and the engineering goods sector in India with a view to suggest policy for improving performance. This broad objective can be divided into three sub objectives:
- To determine the determinants of exports in this sector
- To determine the major problems faced by the exporters in this sectors
- Based on (1) & (2) suggest policy measures for improving export performance.
Objective 1 will be further into following parts:
- To study the commodity composition of textile and engineering exports and structural shifts therein.
- To review the policy changes affecting the textile and engineering export-with a focus on exchange rate policy(time frame to be determined)
- To examine the criticality of exchange rate in affecting the competitiveness of textile and engineering goods exports(Price verses non price factors)
Objectives: The objective of the industry survey is as follows:
- To examine the influence of non price factors on export performance of selected commodities.
- To examine why particular areas in selected industry have not benefitted.
- To analyze performance of various sub categories and the highlight the problems of sub sectors not performing well.
- To examine the influence of India’s industrial policies including establishment of SEZs on export performance.
- To identify sectors which are doing well is not facing severe competition from outside world.
- To recommend policy prescription for boosting export performance of these sectors.